Some shots from a cold walk downtown in January. Note to self: Your Pentax Q10 is extremely noisy at ISO 3200.
Shop Easy Foods in City Park. One of the many small shops that makes living in City Park so amazing.
Chez Nous is a geared to income supportive housing project located in the heart of St. Boniface. The building provides 24 newly renovated bachelor suites for seniors on a fixed income. Care and services include access to 24-hours supervision, food-services, housekeeping and laundry services. The program promotes a caring and supportive living environment which encourages individual autonomy and independence. The home-like experience aims to enrich the quality of life of its residents and their families.
Taché Centre’s is the care and service provider for the Chez Nous supportive housing program. It provides elderly clients with a range of care and services in either French or English that contribute to their autonomy. Chez Nous sets high standards for comfort, independence, safety and peace of mind. It supports a living environment that is welcoming, respectful of human dignity or cultural diversity and of each individual’s needs.
St. Andrew’s and Moose Jaw grew up together. The CPR came in December 1882 and as the New Year began, Presbyterians welcomed their first missionary. By 1883 a congregation had been organized and the Rev. S.J. Taylor became the first minister. The first church building, erected at the corner of Fairford St. and Third Ave. West, was called St. Paul’s. The Chinese United Church now uses the building, one of the oldest in the city.
In 1901 a red brick building was erected at Main and Fairford and was named St. Andrew’s. In 1910 the present location was purchased and under the dynamic leadership of Dr. W.G. Wilson, the greystone edifice took shape. The cornerstone of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, was laid on October 19, 1912 and the first service was March 29, 1914. At the time of Church Union, June 10, 1925, this congregation became St. Andrew’s United Church.
One of the highlights of St. Andrew’s history is the ordination of Lydia Gruchy on November 4, 1936. She was the first woman to be ordained in the United Church of Canada and served at St. Andrew’s from 1935 to 1938.
Tragedy struck the congregation of St. Andrew’s in December 1963 when the church was destroyed by fire with only the east wall and tower and the front facade left. The congregation pledged to continue. Norman C. H. Russell was appointed as architect; in 1965 Presbytery approved the rebuilding plan. The building was dedicated in October 1966.
King Edward Place is an affordable housing tower in City Park, right beside Kinsmen Park. It was built on the site of the former King Edward School (the second school, the first school was bought by the city and turned into Saskatoon’s second city hall.